Home of Building Operating Management & Facility Maintenance Decisions
Insider Reports

FacilitiesNet eNewsletter
eNews Best Information Tool For Busy FMs
We will keep you updated with trends, education, strategies, insights & benchmarks to help drive your career & project success.
Sign up for eBook




KEY FM TOPICS

Facility Manager Cost Saving/Best Practice Quick Reads    RSS Feed

School Gas Line Explosion Injures Two


By Naomi Millán HVAC
Overhead view of roof damage and debris from explosion

A mechanical room explosion at an Indianapolis area high school during the winter break sent a facility maintenance employee and a contractor to the hospital, one with severe burns, according to IndyStar.

On Dec. 26, the men were performing maintenance on a boiler at Carmel High School when a natural gas leak occurred. The reigniting process led to the explosion, according to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, which inspects boiler and pressure vessels throughout the state. According to their inspection, two boilers were impacted in the explosion, but there was no boiler malfunction leading to the explosion, the department reported on its Twitter account.

The second-floor explosion caused extensive damage to the school's roof and destroyed one of the gym's walls, according to photos released by the Carmel Fire Department on its Facebook page. The 100 people on site during the incident were evacuated to the school stadium's locker rooms.

The school will remain closed until all damaged areas have been closed off, but classes are expected to resume on Jan. 8.

Naomi Millán is senior editor, Building Operating Management. 

Next


Read next on FacilitiesNet

Comments