- Director of Facilities »
- Facilities Operations & Maintenance Manager »
- Plumber and Steamfitter »
- Career Opportunity- Maximize Your HVAC Skills »
- Director, Green Buildings/Systems and Faculty »
Managers Struggle with Tech ROI: Study
Did you know that only 30 percent of facility departments have succeeded in realizing the added value in deploying technology to optimize facilities and energy? According to CBRE, connectivity in buildings will increase over 410 percent by 2020 through the use of smart building technology.
But, even with access to leading technology, the majority of facility managers are struggling to see the return on their investments. With the rapid emergence of new technologies and many facility managers unable to see the full value, Veolia North America wanted an in-depth view of how firms are using these technologies.
Through a survey of 100 energy and facilities executives in the U.S. across four industries, Veolia recently released Getting Value from Investment In Facilities Technology: How to Overcome the Barriers. The key findings show that the issues are primarily organizational, and not technological:
- Lack of a strategic approach: few have documented strategies for utilizing technology
- Data silos: many portfolio owners (80 percent) can’t get different systems to talk to each other so they never really see the full picture
- User adoption: many are hampered by a lack of in-house expertise and/or difficulties changing behavior from "the way we've always done it" (e.g. use of paper forms)
- Risk of technology churn: some owners are concerned about investing in a solution that may quickly become obsolete in such a fast-moving market
Operational excellence is achieved through the right combination of people, process, and technology. You can learn more in Getting Value from Investment In Facilities Technology: How to Overcome the Barriers .