Best Information Tool For Busy FMs
We will keep you updated with trends, education, strategies, insights & benchmarks to help drive your career & project success.
Work Lounge Helps Users Avoid Distractions - Steelcase Inc. - Facility Management Product Release
To create, innovate and do their best work, workers and students need periods of flow — those precious few moments when they are immersed in work and time flies by. Yet, researchers from global workplace design leader Steelcase observed that finding this flow seems to be nearly impossible in busy workplace and university environments. Steelcase Inc. unveiled Brody WorkLounge — a microenvironment designed for the brain and the body. Brody helps people get into flow faster and stay in flow longer.
Research reveals in a typical day workers and students switch tasks every 3 minutes, get interrupted every 11 minutes and take 23 minutes to get back on task.
“To be human is to be distracted. We’re not undisciplined or scatter-brained. We’re overwhelmed.” says Markus McKenna, design director for Steelcase. “Maintaining focus is a costly problem for workers and students today so we turned to neuroscience to help us better understand how the brain works and sustains attention. We think the workplace can help us think better.”
Brody WorkLounge creates a cocoon-like space that blocks visual distractions, providing privacy and an enhanced sense of psychological security for workers and students in open environments such as workplaces or libraries. It creates a comfortable microenvironment by thoughtfully integrating power, ergonomic comfort, personal storage and lighting.
“Brody creates a comfortable micro-environment that makes it easier to focus your attention, get into flow and get work done,” McKenna says. “When workers and students can control their stimuli they can focus better and get into flow faster.”
Other features of Brody include:
• Designed for the brain: Brody creates a psychological safe spot where you can nestle in and not worry about people sneaking up behind you. Designed for individual use in an open space, Brody is configurable in ways that allow multiple people to get into flow in a dense area at the same time. A smart alternative to enclaves, the Brody WorkLounge can help organizations transform underutilized, in-between spaces into coveted destinations.
• Designed for the body: Discomfort is its own type of distraction. Brody’s state-of-the-art ergonomics cradle your body in a reclined position, allowing your upper and lower back to be supported, while the angled Personal Work Surface holds your technology at eye-level to reduce neck and shoulder strain. Arm support built into the work surface relieves pressure off your shoulders and a soft edge seat allows for a range of users to sit comfortably in any position.
- How Soundmasking Leads to Better Acoustics, Pleasant Space
- How to Get Good Acoustics from Floor to Ceiling
- Quality Sound: Office Acoustics Done Right