Luminaire Disconnect - Thomas & Betts - Facility Management Product Release
The Sta-Kon luminaire disconnect enables disconnection of power to fluorescent lighting fixtures without exposure to live wires. It consists of a male and female disconnect body with pre-stripped wire connected to the male and female contacts. The contacts are made of tin-plated brass. The disconnect terminals are housed in crack-, abrasion- and impact-resistant polycarbonate.
It features a finger-safe female line side with wire connectors that prevent the installer from touching hot contacts, eliminating the need to disconnect power to service the fluorescent luminaire. The male side is connected to the fluorescent luminaire ballast, not to active power. Other features include No. 18 GA AWG solid copper-insulated integral wire leads that are compatible with multiple sizes of copper or aluminum wire to simplify installation, as well as an integral latch in the polycarbonate housing, providing a visible and audible verification that the contacts are secured. The integral leads allow a safe disconnect for a single luminaire that includes multiple ballasts. One disconnect removes the voltage from all the ballasts within the luminaire.
Additional features include: Pok-A-Yok design that enables mating halves to be installed only one way, ensuring the correct electrical polarization; oversized electrical contacts, which improve conductivity and limit temperature increases; an orange color that is clearly visible and signifies a safety device; clear identification of the line and load on each polycarbonate housing; and a round design that is small enough for use in tight applications.
- Daylighting Advantages And Disadvantages
- EPAct 2005: The Energy Policy Act of 2005 Explained
- Fluorescent Lamp Disposal: What Are The Options?
- Getting Started With Lighting Occupancy Sensors
- T5 vs. Metal Halide: Finding The Energy Savings
- The T8 Ballast: Not Every Ballast Is Created Equal
- Tunable White LED Lighting: Questions and Considerations
- Understanding Lighting Controls Protocols
- Should You Give Tunable White LED Lighting a Shot?
- 5 Ways to Avoid Flicker in LED Lighting Installations
- Advances in LEDs Bring Architectural Performance to Commercial Products
- AMA: Some Street Lighting LED Options Hazardous to Health