1 FM quick reads on doors & hardware
1. Door Hardware: Training Tools
This is Chris Matt, Managing Editor of Print & E-Media, with Maintenance Solutions magazine. Today's tip is technician training for doors and door hardware.
Training for front-line technicians is essential for the success of new-generation door hardware because technicians are the first to see and hear about the system's problems, and they are the first responders to these problems. Managers have a number of key considerations when it comes to selecting training related to door hardware. The training should do the following:
- Ensure a proper mix of both mechanical and electrical skills for the system.
- Cover inspection of all points of entry for proper operation. This element is critical because the goal is to catch problems when they start to prevent damage to the hardware or the door itself.
- Discuss trouble-shooting. For example, when a door slams shut, technicians should check the way the closer is adjusted to resume proper operation.
- Offer guidance on proper installation of hardware. Whether in-house technicians or a contractor performs this task, in-house staff should know proper technique so they can tell if the installation is correct.
- Review routine maintenance requirements. Issues here include battery checks, normal battery-life expectancy, hinge care, exit- and closer-device care, lock maintenance, latch maintenance and adjustment, and electrical testing.
- Discuss problems with user set-up related to a PIN, magnetic card, or proximity card, as well as signs of problems, such as the card lock not responding.
Equipment manufacturers and vendors have central roles in training technicians. Some of these companies have been in business for decades, know the issues and are familiar with the most beneficial applications of new technology.
QUICK Sign-up - Membership Includes:New Content and Magazine Article Updates
Educational Webcast Alerts
Building Products/Technology Notices
Complete Library of Reports, Webcasts, Salary and Exclusive Member Content
click here for more member info.
Press Release Archives
Our Content On Your Site
FM Online Tools
- Content Directory
- Site Map
Other Online Resources