Maintenance Worker Electrocuted, Dies
44-year-old man was working on an emergency lighting conduit at the time he was electrocuted. November 17, 2023
Many maintenance and engineering tasks in institutional and commercial facilities are risky, as the annual list of top violations of OSHA standards demonstrates. Unfortunately in some cases, those risks become fatal.
A subcontractor working on maintenance at an AT&T facility in Cambridge, Massachusetts, was recently pronounced dead at the hospital after being electrocuted on the job, according to the Washington Times.
The 44-year-old man was working on an emergency lighting conduit at the time he was electrocuted, the Cambridge Police Department said. The man was found on the ground by first responders at around 8:30 a.m. before being taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
The AT&T building is a switching center for phone calls.
Two investigations have been launched, one by the Cambridge police and the Middlesex district attorney’s office and one by OSHA.
Dan Hounsell is senior editor for the facilities market. He has more than 30 years of experience writing about facilities maintenance, engineering and management.