Home of Building Operating Management & Facility Maintenance Decisions
Insider Reports

FacilitiesNet eNewsletter
eNews Best Information Tool For Busy FMs
We will keep you updated with trends, education, strategies, insights & benchmarks to help drive your career & project success.
Sign up for eBook




Facility Manager Cost Saving/Best Practice Quick Reads    RSS Feed

Restaurant Worker Dies After Exposure to Cleaning Chemical


By Greg Zimmerman Facilities Management

A restaurant worker trying to squeegee a cleaning chemical off the floor of the kitchen of a Boston-area Buffalo Wild Wings was overcome by fumes, rushed to the hospital, and died soon after.

One employee had poured the sodium hypochlorite sanitizing product Super 8 on the floor in the kitchen, and immediately went outside to get fresh air, according to CNN. The second employee was trying to clean it up by squeegeeing it outside, when he was overcome, also went outside, where medical personnel found him suffering from nausea. He was taken to the hospital where he died.

Ten other people, two of them customers, were also hospitalized, according to USA Today. A hazmat team was called in and his declared the restaurant safe. OSHA is investigating the incident. 

This post was submitted by Greg Zimmerman, executive editor, Building Operating Management and FacilitiesNet.com. Read his cover story about Chris Walinski and his mission to make open offices flexible and productive

Next


Read next on FacilitiesNet

Comments