Solar Energy Powers Intelligent Energy Management System - SunPower - Facility Management Product Release
SunPower launched its Helix platform, the world's first fully integrated commercial solar solution combining solar power production and energy management.
“Unique in the solar industry, Helix is a complete solution that optimizes power production and maximizes value for our commercial customers, such as Bed Bath and Beyond,” says Tom Werner, president and CEO of SunPower. “Integral to each Helix component, from the solar cells to the energy management system, is SunPower’s 30 years of innovation and experience delivering some of the world's most efficient, reliable solar technology.”
Helix is a pre-engineered, modular solution that is built to last and fast to install, enabling customers to scale their solar programs quickly with minimal business disruption. The Helix platform is standardized across rooftop, carport and ground installations. Features include:
• SunPower solar panels, the most efficient solar panels on the market today, produce 60 percent more energy from the same space over the first 25 years than conventional panels. Leading the industry in environmental sustainability, SunPower panels manufactured in Mexico and France are the first and only solar panels in the world to receive the Cradle to Cradle Certified Silver designation.
• Mounting hardware that maximizes roof coverage, enabling Helix to achieve the leading energy density in solar with 72 percent more energy generated over 25 years when compared with conventional solar power systems.
• Plug-and-play power station — the only one available in the U.S. commercial solar market — eliminates the need to strip and land wires on site, reducing labor costs during installation and improving reliability.
• SunPower EnergyLink™ is a comprehensive, powerful energy intelligence software (EIS) for solar, which, unlike other EIS products, quantifies real time demand charge savings, and identifies demand peaks and savings opportunities.
Bed Bath & Beyond is one of SunPower's first Helix customers, with construction expected to begin on systems at eight stores early next year. The major retailer launched its solar program in 2006, and currently generates a total of 17.5 megawatts from SunPower systems on 26 facilities in four states.
“The cost savings we expect to see with the new SunPower Helix systems, such as plug-and-play power stations that greatly reduce installation time, will enable Bed Bath & Beyond to grow our solar program more quickly, delivering operational savings at more of our facilities,” says Robert Eckhardt, head of architecture and renewables development for Bed Bath & Beyond. “Minimizing the complexities of solar system installation is critical for keeping projects on schedule and meeting return on investment goals. Helix is designed to meet those challenges.”
“With standardized Helix components, we have eliminated the inefficiencies and added costs of complex system design,” Werner says. “Helix makes the complex simple, allowing our commercial and public agency customers to easily and intelligently manage their energy use and costs and maximize solar power production over the long-term.”
- How Hospitals Can Achieve Net-Zero Energy
- 4 Questions to Ask to Help Select Smart Building Technologies
- 7 Things to Consider Before Implementing Smart Building Technology
- $1.3 Trillion Spending Bill Preserves Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy Programs, Agencies
- ‘Big Real Estate’ Keeps Aerial Eye on Chicago
- “Putting Data To Work” Toolkit Helps FMs Prioritize Energy Efficiency Projects