- Facilities Utility Specialist »
- Construction engineer, U.S. Dept. of State »
- Foreign Service Facility Manager »
- Operating Engineer »
Paralleling Box Combines Different Sized Generators With Different Fuel Types - Kohler Power Systems - Facility Management Product Release
Paralleling Box Combines Different Sized Generators With Different Fuel Types
Kohler Power Systems launched a Mobile Paralleling Box, which delivers cutting-edge flexibility by allowing users to combine different sized generators with different fuel types.
The new Mobile Paralleling Box, along with a fleet of Kohler generators, allows users to mix and match different size generators to meet job requirements. Four of the new boxes can be used to parallel as many as eight generators. The Kohler Decision-Maker 3500 digital controller, which is standard on all Kohler gaseous and Tier 4 Final diesel mobile generators, provides the paralleling intelligence and network communications for remote monitoring.
“Any Kohler mobile generator with the Decision-Maker 3500 digital controller will work with the Mobile Paralleling Box,” says Anne Feudner, project manager.
The digital controller along with the new Mobile Paralleling Box makes it possible to parallel generators for applications such as using multiple smaller units to replace a larger generator, providing redundancy to a primary generator in support of critical loads, meeting system capacity demands when one generator is inadequate, or managing generators to be sequenced on or off in a predetermined order based on system output.
The new system uses contactors to connect to the bus and eliminates the need for installing or investing in motorized breakers on generators that may never be used in a parallel application. Each contactor is rated at 1,000 amps — different sized generators can parallel as long as each unit’s output is less than 1,000 amps.
“The advantage of the new paralleling system is that it removes the need to size circuit breakers to specific generator output,” Feudner says.
Color-coded camlocks for input and output feeds make the new box easy to setup and maintain while unused camlock connectors are protected with lockable security bars. The system also includes two 25-inch control cables as well as lockable storage for control cables.
Paralleling intelligence is incorporated into the Kohler Decision-Maker 3500 digital controller, which provides system monitoring and diagnostics while also offering a user-friendly display. The advanced digital controller uses a patented hybrid voltage regulator and unique software logic to manage alternator thermal overload protection features that normally require additional hardware. Paralleling functions featured on the controller include:
• Bus sensing for accurate metering and control
• First-on logic – starts all generators to allow the first generator to reach rated voltage to close to the bus
• Synchronizing adjusts other generators’ engine speed and voltage to allow them to connect to the bus
• External-controlled load sharing via analog bias signals
• Load management to ensure the generators are not overloaded
- 5 Areas of UPS Failure to Look Out For
- 4 Common Causes of Generator or Switchgear Downtime
- 8 Steps to Reliability During the Pandemic
- 3 Outdated Assumptions About Energy Management
- Arc Flash Labeling Best Practice Guide Available
- Assess Energy Options Carefully