You Might Like
- Facilities Project Coordinator »
- HVAC Building Engineer (3rd Shift) JR 24574 »
- Director of Facilities, Quinault Beach Resort »
- Engineer - Costa Mesa, CA »
- Facility Manager, Nome Alaska »
Glass offers expanded low-e insulating performance options for various climates
PITTSBURGH – PPG Industries (NYSE:PPG) has introduced SUNGATE(R) 600 glass, a multifunctional low-emissivity (low-e) glass that can enhance the insulating performance of buildings in a variety of climates and applications:
· In moderate climates where heat gain is desired, Sungate 600 glass can function as a traditional high-performing passive low-e glass. In this configuration, the coating is on the No. 3 surface of a 1-inch insulating glass unit (IGU), which is the air-space side of the interior lite. The coating of Sungate 600 glass reduces heat loss and provides a U-value of 0.33 while maintaining ample levels of heat and visible light transmittance with a solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of 0.65 and visible light transmittance (VLT) of 71 percent.
For colder climate zones where even higher insulating values are desired, the coating of Sungate 600 glass can be placed on the No. 4 surface (facing the building interior) of a 1-inch IGU with a solar-control low-e glass such as SOLARBAN(R) 60 glass on the No. 2 surface (the air-space side of the exterior lite) and a ½-inch air space. This configuration yields a 20 percent net gain in U-value without the need for triple-glazing.
When paired with a tinted or reflective glass from the OCEANS OF COLOR(R) or Earth and Sky glass collections by PPG, or with any SOLARCOOL(R) or VISTACOOL(R) glass, Sungate 600 glass can improve U-values by up to 30 percent when the coating is placed on the No. 3 surface of a 1-inch IGU. This combination improves both SHGC and U-value performance in a wide variety of aesthetics.
Sungate 600 glass features a pyrolitic coating developed to provide the smoothness and durability needed when used on the No. 4 surface of a double-pane IGU. Because the coating is chemically bonded to glass while molten, Sungate 600 glass has a durable hard coat. The resulting star-crystalline structure also makes the surface up to 25 percent smoother than the coatings on traditional pyrolytic coated glasses.
For information about Sungate 600 glass, visit www.ppgideascapes.com or call 888-PPG-IDEA (774-4332).
PPG: Bringing innovation to the surface.(TM)
PPG Industries' vision is to continue to be the world’s leading coatings and specialty products company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in more than 60 countries around the world. Sales in 2011 were $14.9 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com.
Contact FacilitiesNet Editorial Staff » posted on: 10/29/2012