- Facilities Manager »
- Sr. Facilities Project Manager, Construction »
- Facility Manager at Colorado Nonprofit! »
- Chief Engineer »
- Building Assistant »
Dow Corning Provides Design Freedom for Modern Glass Facades
Dow Corning, the global leader in silicones, silicon-based technology and innovation, and a pioneer of Silicone Structural Glazing (SSG) and weatherproofing sealants, has revolutionized the way commercial architects design glass facades. Dow Corning has more than 50 years of proven performance with silicone products and design systems. With years of ongoing application quality control improvements and continued product innovations, Dow Corning silicones continue to outperform most competitive products.
Experts from Dow Corning will highlight High-Performance Building Solutions in booth 3403 at the 2017 American Institute of Architects (AIA) Conference, April 27-29 in Orlando. Visit here to register.
The Dow Corning SSG curtain walling method utilizes a structural silicone sealant that adheres glass to metal frames – without the use of visible mechanical fasteners – for pure glass aesthetic and improved design freedom for architects. The resulting facade is designed to permanently accommodate movement as it transfers wind-loads from the glass to the framework and to ensure long-term structural capability of building envelopes.
Dow Corning air and weather barrier solutions help architects improve the airtightness of the building envelope, saving energy and reducing costs of uncontrolled air leakage. This system alleviates shortcomings of current air barriers that do not meet updated installation and performance standards.
Expanding on Dow Corning’s proven performance history, these silicone technologies work hand-in-hand to give architects an edge in high-performance building designs, combining energy efficiency, sound control, weather and UV protection, building security, and lifecycle cost savings.
At the AIA Conference, Dow Corning’s various innovations will be on display, including:
· Dow Corning 121 Silicone Structural Glazing Sealant – An easy-to-use and fast-curing sealant, for use in structural and weather-sealing applications, which can be applied on-site or in-shop. This sealant simplifies facade installation and reduces repair time.
· Dow Corning Transparent Structural Silicone Adhesive (TSSA) for fixed-point exterior glass facades – An innovative, high strength, structural adhesive, TSSA provides a bonding option for crystal clear, point fixed glass external facades that negates the need to drill and bolt through glass – eliminating the potential for leakage of gas and thermal bridging.
· Dow Corning DefendAir 200 Silicone Liquid Applied Air and Weather Barrier – This barrier prevents water infiltration with the ability to “breathe.” The water-based coating dries to form a flexible membrane that is impervious to liquid water, but allows moisture vapor to escape. This mitigates concerns about potential corrosion and mold growth caused by moisture trapped inside wall assemblies.
“For more than five decades, architects, fabricators and building developers around the world have relied on Dow Corning brand silicone materials,” Jean Paul Hautekeer, Dow Corning global marketing director for Building and Construction, said. “Now as a subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company, we look forward to expanded collaboration with our building industry partners to ensure the best performance, safety and long-term durability of modern glass facades.”