Facility Manager Cost Saving/Best Practice Quick Reads RSS Feed
Keys to Ensuring Successful Rooftop PV System
April 9, 2013 -
Contact FacilitiesNet Editorial Staff »
The first step in the successful installation of a rooftop photovoltaic (PV) system is to ensure the underlying roofing system is compatible with the intended PV system or that it can be upgraded for use with a PV system. For a rooftop PV system, the process of integrated design — having all parties involved with a project, including maintenance and engineering, at the design table — requires knowledge of both the roofing and PV industries.
Having the right people at the design table helps to create a proper path from design to installation to maintenance. To ensure a successful design, managers need to:
- make sure the roofing system will provide at least 20 additional years of useful service
- specify a cover board as a substrate for the roofing membrane in order to prevent damage and to protect the energy-efficiency properties of the roof insulation
- match the roof membrane’s thickness and proven performance to the required service life of the PV system
- use construction details that are well established and meet the manufacturer’s requirements
- elevate framing and conduits above the roof surface to promote drainage, which considerably reduces the potential for leaks
- design penetrations with round framing so flashing installations are more effectively and efficiently installed
- install sacrificial membranes or walkways at critical traffic locations
- provide additional membrane layers or coatings at flashings to increase durability
- engage qualified professionals during the design and planning phase to ensure compliance with all building codes and safety regulations
- make sure the rooftop PV system installation does not compromise the roofing system's warranty
- make sure that the roofing system's manufacturer has accepted all PV system details — especially attachments and penetrations — if not during the design stage, at least prior to starting the PV installation on the rooftop.
The manager's overall goal is to make sure the rooftop PV system will do more than just survive. It also should help ensure continuous building operations.