- Building Maintenance Engineer »
- Director of Facilities Ops and Maint »
- Facilities and Maintenance Technician »
- Facilities Manager »
- Facilities Operations and Maintenance Sup. »
President Biden Launches Clean Air in Buildings Challenge
The Biden Administration on March 17 launched the Clean Air in Buildings Challenge as part of the National COVID-19 Preparedness Plan to move beyond the pandemic.
The Challenge calls on building owners and facility managers at educational facilities and other institutional and commercial facilities to adopt strategies to improve indoor air quality (IAQ).
As part of the Challenge, the Environmental Protection Agency published a best practice guide for managers to follow to improve IAQ and reduce the risk of spreading airborne particles.
The guide contains the following recommendations and is organized into four groups:
- Create a clean indoor action plan that assesses IAQ, plans for upgrades and improvements, and includes HVAC inspections and maintenance.
- Optimize fresh air ventilation by bringing in and circulating clean outdoor air indoors.
- Enhance air filtration and cleaning using the central HVAC system and in-room air cleaning services.
- Engage the building community by communicating with building occupants to increase awareness, commitment, and participation.
Dave Lubach is managing editor of the Facility Market.