Fungal Infection Linked to Bird Droppings Cause Patient Deaths

  April 2, 2019

By Cathryn Jakicic

Helicopters may be partly to blame for disturbing pigeon feces at a Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, Scotland, where two patients died of a fungal infection linked to bird excrement, according to an article on The Times website.

Glasgow’s health board said that helicopters landing on the roof of the hospital had “whisked up” the droppings. Droppings were later found in the ventilation system connected to wards.

“There are a number of hypotheses including the plant room and the helipad. We also contacted other health boards to discuss associated matters,” a spokeswoman for the health trust said.

A non-public area in the hospital, away from the wards, was initially identified as a likely source and the droppings were removed. Control measures have been put in place including portable HEPA filter units in specific areas as a precaution.

As a further precaution, some patients are being moved within the hospital due to their clinical diagnosis and ongoing treatment.

Cathryn Jakicic is healthcare industries editor of FacilitiesNet.com. For more information on hospital campuses and other medical facilities, visit Healthcare Facilities Today.


Read next on FacilitiesNet