- HVAC Mechanic/General Maintenance Technician »
- Facilities Support Specialist »
- Director, Green Buildings/Systems and Faculty »
- Career Opportunity- Maximize Your HVAC Skills »
- Intern - Facilities & Fleet Maintenance »
Are Hand Dryers Germ Spreaders?
March 14, 2016 - Contact FacilitiesNet Editorial Staff »
A new study published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology said high-speed jet air dryers are germ-spreading machines, according to an article posted on the Healthcare Facilities Today website.
Wet hands increase the risk of transmitting bacteria, so drying is as important as washing for infection prevention.
According to the study, the jet air dryer spread 20 times more viruses than the warm air dryer and upwards of 190 times more than paper towels.
The virus dispersal's impact was greatest at 2.5 to 4.1 feet — about face level for small children.
Read more about healthcare on the Healthcare Facilities Today website.
This Quick Read was submitted by Cathryn Jakicic, Healthcare Industries Editor, Facilities.net.