Facility leaders share their thoughts on what to expect this year and beyond
Join Dave Thompson on Feb. 27 in our Ask the Expert session on motivating and recognizing technicians and janitors
The New York Yankees had their share of success in the baseball world, ranking first with 27 World Series championships in 40 appearances. Now the organization can add a first in facilities management to its long list of accolades.
Yankee Stadium, the home of the Yankees, is the first sports and entertainment venue in the world to achieve the WELL Health-Safety Rating for Facility Operations and Management, according to the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI). The WELL Health-Safety Rating achieved by the Yankees is an evidence-based, third-party verified rating for all new and existing buildings and spaces. The rating provides operational policies, maintenance protocols, emergency plans and stakeholder engagement strategies to help organizations prepare and maintain their spaces for re-entry in a post COVID-19 environment.
Yankee Stadium achieved the WELL Health-Safety Rating by implementing features across five categories:
• air and water quality management, including assessing ventilation and fresh air supply through mechanical or natural means and reviewing its inventory of filters and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) equipment
• cleaning and sanitization procedures, including ensuring proper handwashing and surface contact by staff, improving cleaning practices and frequency, and selecting cleaning products that disinfect without harmful ingredients
• emergency preparedness programs, including providing a blueprint for dealing with unforeseen events and providing an actionable plan for re-entry after an emergency
• health service resources to promote the well-being of employees through screening services, mental health services, seasonal vaccination programs and a smoke-free environment.
• stakeholder engagement and communications, which include employing proper signage throughout the stadium and promoting health literacy to employees, partners and patrons, including food service safety verification.
Dan Hounsell is editor of Facility Maintenance Decisions.