- ELECTRICIAN »
- Senior Director of Facilities »
- Sr. Building Systems Engineer »
- Construction engineer, U.S. Dept. of State »
Welcome To Our Special Technology Issue!
Why devote an entire issue to products? Two reasons: interest and innovation. The interest is yours. We’ve seen time and again that FMs are deeply interested in products. The latest example is a reader survey that put product information at the top of the list of reasons for reading Building Operating Management.
The past few years have seen tremendous innovation in facility technology. That innovation has been driven by a range of advances: in software, in mobile technology, in basic materials research, in the rethinking of product designs. The result is an array of new choices in many product categories.
When we put those two factors together, we decided it was important to pull together a solid sampling of technology advances across a wide range of building systems. We hope the 2016 FM Tech Roundup is useful. Let us know what you think.
Here is a listing of the sections in this issue.
1. Water and Energy Efficiency — Data is power, and these new products give FMs the power to meter, monitor, and analyze their utility usage.
2. Building Exteriors — Roofs and windows aren't iPhones, but technology updates to exteriors products can still result in significant gains for FMs.
3. Lighting — The latest lighting technologies can be used to improve occupant health, but they can also be harmful if mismanaged.
4. Safety / Security — Facility managers discuss the benefits and challenges of leveraging mobile in fire/life safety and security systems.
5. Data Gathering and Analysis — This snapshot of a fast-changing area includes cloud-based platforms for energy efficiency, plus tools for design and tenant relations.
6. Buillding Automation and Controls — Check out improved analytics, graphics, and cyber security.
7. HVAC — Innovations, some of them dramatic, promise benefits that range from energy efficiency and comfort to connectivity and reliability.