- Use your skills to help build a better world »
- Construction engineer, U.S. Dept. of State »
- Vice President, Facilities »
Equipment Rental: Maintenance Matters
OTHER PARTS OF THIS ARTICLEPt. 1: Equipment Rental: Strategies for Successful ProgramPt. 2: Ensure Aerial Work Platforms Match Project NeedsPt. 3: Renting Specialized Construction Equipment Provides Managers With FlexibilityPt. 4: This Page
Maintenance and engineering managers looking to rent equipment for use in and around their facilities must get answers to a number of essential questions, including the maintenance requirements related to the specific piece of equipment. Key questions include these:
• To what extent is the renter responsible for performing routine maintenance on the equipment while it is on site?
• If a problem arises with the equipment that is not the fault of the renter, how long will it take for the rental company to provide a replacement unit?
• Does the renter need to buy insurance to cover damage to the rental equipment?
• Does the rental fee include equipment setup and teardown?
• Does the rental company carry liability insurance that covers accidents involving the use of the equipment?
— James Piper, P.E.