- HVAC Building Engineer (3rd Shift) JR 24574 »
- Maintenance Assistant (Atlanta, GA) »
- Assistant Director of Facilities Position! »
- Engineer - Costa Mesa, CA »
- Facility Manager, Nome Alaska »
Impact on Office Space Due to Pandemic Here to Stay
July 7, 2021 - Contact FacilitiesNet Editorial Staff »
“New normal” is one of those phrases used to describe our world post-COVID-19 pandemic. While the phrase tends to be overused and cliche, it rings true for many facility managers.
According to 75 percent of FMs who responded to a recent survey, the impact of the pandemic on the profession is here to stay. A report released by Honeywell indicated that three-fourths of FMs interviewed for the “Rethinking Buildings Post-COVID-19” study say the pandemic prompted them to rethink how their facilities should operate moving forward.
Some form of social distancing, enhanced cleaning, and a newfound commitment to improving indoor air quality (IAQ) are three areas that FMs anticipate that pandemic-era policies will continue going forward.
The pandemic is also driving FMs to prioritize improving IAQ (62% of respondents said they’d invest more in IAQ post-pandemic) and contactless access to buildings (56%).
Other results from the poll included:
- 22% of respondents mention pandemic-related issues as their top concern
- 62% consider having a healthy building a top priority
- 54% saw a rise in remote facility management procedures
- 67% say they are more willing to invest in smart building solutions post-pandemic.
Dave Lubach is managing editor, Facility Market.