- Facilities Director »
- Sr. Building Systems Engineer »
- ELECTRICIAN »
- Senior Director of Facilities »
- Construction engineer, U.S. Dept. of State »
Window Film Offers Green Benefits and Cost Savings
June 18, 2018 - Windows & Exterior Walls
By Darrell Smith
In today’s world, being environmentally conscious and incorporating green initiatives is top of mind for many companies. It not only can elevate a company ahead of its competition, but also is good for the planet and can help a business’ bottom line. One way to incorporate a green product is with professionally installed window film.
Window film is a sheet of film containing multiple layers of coating that comes in various shades, from dark colorations to nearly clear. It can be applied to a variety of window shapes and sizes, allowing for a custom installation. Depending on the size of the facility, a full installation can be done in just a matter of hours or a few days with little to no impact on worker productivity.
A professional installation of window film can help a business in a variety of ways:
• Increasing energy efficiency: With energy control window film, a building can go from having windows that allow 90 percent of the solar energy entering the building, to windows that allow less than 25 percent of solar energy into the building. This delivers significant savings on air conditioning costs and reduces the number of hot and cold spots in a facility. In addition, window film may provide a 9-10 percent increase in insulation value, and “low-e” window films can block 40 to 60 percent of all energy being lost through glass in winter.
• Preserving older windows: Up to one-third of heating and cooling costs can be lost through old inefficient windows, and many older commercial buildings still have less efficient single pane windows. However, removing and replacing inefficient windows creates additional trash in landfills. By using window film on older windows, the life of the existing window can be extended while still gaining energy efficient benefits.
• Utility bill savings: Window film products are certified by the National Fenestration Rating Council for energy efficiency performance. By reducing solar heat gain in the summer and retaining a building’s heat in the winter, window film may offer year-round savings of about 5 to 10 percent of the facility’s total energy bill. By offering seven times the energy savings per dollar spent when compared with a full window replacement, window film is a technologically-proven and eco-friendly option that helps facilities save money while still making the needed improvement.
• Tax credits: Many states across the country offer businesses incentives for undertaking green projects. Window film may qualify for project reimbursements and tax reductions. Consulting a tax advisor can decipher eligibility with respect to any tax credit.
With an estimated 258 million tons of trash entering landfills each year, keeping a pulse on the environmental impact your business is making is now more important than ever. By incorporating eco-friendly practices, you can create positive change for the planet and your bottom line.
Having window film professionally installed not only provides green benefits, it creates a more comfortable environment for employees, blocks up to 99 percent of harmful UV rays, and can reduce fading on interior furnishings. Window film is a cost effective investment that provides many benefits for years to come.
Darrell Smith is the executive director of the International Window Film Association, an industry body of window film dealers, distributors, and manufacturers.