You Might Like
- Maintenance Assistant (Atlanta, GA) »
- Head Gardener »
- Facilities Project Coordinator »
- Director of Facilities, Quinault Beach Resort »
- JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN »
New Report Focuses on Hydrogen Technology
The Hydrogen Posture Plan, recently submitted to Congress, outlines a coordinated plan for the development of hydrogen-based technologies as an alternative fuel source.
The plan was submitted by the Hydrogen Fuel Initiative, a joint venture of the Department of Energy (DOE) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) that works to support research, development and production of hydrogen and fuel cell technologies.
Among the key points of the report are:
- The development of hydrogen as an energy carrier can help ensure long-term energy security.
- Safety systems and codes are needed for hydrogen energy systems, both to ensure safety and to define standards for future development.
- Public education and outreach is important for increasing awareness and understanding of hydrogen energy systems.
- Hydrogen and fuel cell technologies must meet market-based requirements for cost, operability, safety, maintenance and overall performance.
- The federal government can play a key role by supporting materials and component research, which will help overcome current technology barriers.
The DOE is required to submit to Congress a plan for hydrogen and fuel cell programs by Section 804 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005.