Best Information Tool For Busy FMs
We will keep you updated with trends, education, strategies, insights & benchmarks to help drive your career & project success.
- FACILITIES SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN »
- Director of College Facilities »
- Asst Director of Bldg Operations & Utilities »
- Building Services Officer »
- Sr. Director Campus Maintenance & Operations »
Sr. Director Campus Maintenance & Operations - Facilities Management Job Post
Type: full time
Role: Facilities Executive
We are seeking a highly skilled professional that has proven experience providing general leadership and direction within a fast-paced Maintenance department (General Maintenance, Carpentry, HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Welding, Painting, Mechanic, Horticulture, Housekeeping & Groups). The ideal candidate would be experienced with setting overall long-term planning and strategic focus for the department in addition to budgeting and planning. This position manages the Zoo’s recycling initiatives and develops sustainability and green initiatives. Candidates must maintain a Texas Driver’s license and comply with HZI policy on driving. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances to achieve unit objectives. LEED accreditation preferred.
Our Mission: Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
Our Vision: Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships across all internal departments and work closely with fellow department leaders
- Creates, monitors and completes a comprehensive annual plan of timely repairs and preventative work that assures the highest performance of Zoo facilities
- Institutes programs ensuring the highest levels of cleanliness and landscape health and beauty, world class guest service, support for Special Events and Zoo-wide public events and celebrations
- Ensures the Zoos conservation and green initiatives are part of every decision
- Responsible for the professional development and progress of all direct reports including weekly communication and ongoing mentoring
- Develops and implement innovative programs, processes and procedures to reduce short- and long-term operating costs and increase productivity and efficiency
- Enforces appropriate rules and regulations and maintains safety standards in conformance with state and insurance regulations as related to the activities of the department. Ensures compliance with applicable building and safety codes, hazardous waste disposal, OSHA, hazardous materials, etc.
- Follows HZI purchasing policies in dealing with outside vendors/contractors
- Closely coordinates upcoming repairs and jobs that impact animal or guest areas and communicates well in advance for proactive planning with all departments involved
- Displays strong administrative skills, excellent customer service and organizational skills coupled with attention to detail and follow up are critical to success in this role
- Coordinates and monitors status of work orders; estimates, materials and labor costs, requests, and purchases materials and equipment
- Ensures that time and materials are planned, reconciled and assigned to the appropriate cost center for accounting purposes
- Determines annual staffing needs; aligns functional work areas and assigns responsibilities. Implements training programs as necessary for maintaining or improving professional and technical qualifications of staff
- Approves the selection of new employees; appraises, counsels, disciplines, and evaluates staff; resolves grievances
Experiences and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in business, engineering, facilities operations or related field
- Minimum of eight (8) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Four (4) years related professional experience with budgeting and planning focus
- Knowledge of all phases of facilities operation, maintenance and repair, planning, scheduling, management and administration of the facility; federal, state, and local safety practices; record keeping and report writing experience
- LEED accreditation is preferred
- Speak persuasively to implement desire actions
- Knowledge of pertinent laws, codes, policies, and/or regulations; personnel processes; standard business practices
About Houston Zoo
The Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts with over 6,000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! There are over 2 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well-being of our residents and guests. We strive to ensure the protection of all the counterparts of the animals we have at the Zoo and in the wild.
Join the Houston Zoo and become part of an organization that is focused on the preservation of wildlife and their habitats by combining conservation with education and promotion of sustainable livelihoods in the local communities. Houston Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply at: https://www.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/houstonzoo