New Content Updates
Educational Webcast Alerts
Building Products/Technology Notices
Access Exclusive Member Content
[ Purchase job posting ]
Apply at: http://www.nyc.gov/careers/search
Heating Plant Technician
The New York City Housing Authority is seeking candidates to fill Heating Plant Technician positions in the Heating Management Services Department. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Maintain heating operations at development locations; operate heating and domestic hot water boilers.
• Tend to and operate heating equipment; monitor CHAS equipment.
• Maintain, adjust and make repairs to boilers, industrial oil burners, heating and domestic hot water equipment and all auxiliaries.
• Stand watch and fire low-pressure boilers.
• Assist in the inspection and testing of boilers and related equipment.
• Dismantle or assemble heating equipment; requisition parts as required.
• Conduct and schedule tank inspections.
• Respond to all heating/hot water service disruptions.
• Repair boiler/burners and distribution system.
• Trouble-shoot and provide technical expertise for heating matters.
• Assist skilled trade administrators in the review of skilled trade tickets.
• Follow-up on all heating issues at assigned development locations.
• Keep logs and make reports as required.
When assigned to a roving team in the Operations area, respond to emergency dispatches and perform minor repairs of heating systems and related equipment to remedy the alarm conditions, especially those caused by abnormalities in steam and hot water. Operate a motor vehicle to travel to assigned and emergency work locations and to transport needed equipment throughout the five boroughs. Check assigned vehicle to ensure proper operating condition; report the need for routine servicing; complete equipment and activity reports.
ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE MADE THROUGHOUT THE FIVE BOROUGHS
Note: Heating Plant Technicians are required to work shifts including nights, weekends and holidays on a rotating basis. Shifts are as follows:
5:00 AM - 1:00 PM
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
4:00 PM - 12:00 AM
12:00 AM - 8:00 AM
Additional License Requirements:
Candidates must also possess both of the following:
• A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of assignment; and
• A Certificate of Fitness to Operate Air Compressors (G-35), issued by the New York City Fire Department. This certificate must be maintained for the duration of assignment.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. Six months of full-time satisfactory experience within the last ten years in the operation and maintenance of low and/or high-pressure boilers and related equipment; or
2. One year of satisfactory training acquired in an approved trade, technical or vocational high school, consisting of a course of study in the operation and maintenance of low and/or high-pressure boilers which combines classroom and boiler room instruction; or
3. Satisfactory completion of the training course ``Fundamentals of Heating Plant Operations`` given by organizations approved by the New York City Housing Authority.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume to www.nyc.gov/careers/search. Search for JOB ID# 309933.
The New York City Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer.