New Content Updates
Educational Webcast Alerts
Building Products/Technology Notices
Access Exclusive Member Content
| Company information
The Sika SolarMount-1 is a lightweight, aerodynamic mounting system for the installation of rigid photovoltaic (PV) panels on low slope Sarna l® thermoplastic roofs. The SolarMount-1 system consists of the following components:
● PV Mount (support, 15 degree tilt)
● Sika SolarClick
● Accessories (rails, wind detectors, clamps, screws)
The Sika SolarMount-1 can be assembled in a variety of configurations, in either South or East-West orientations. Actual design and layout will depend on building specific requirements, wind loads and other considerations.
Non-penetrating connection to the roofing membrane:
● The key component of the SolarMount-1 is the Sika SolarClick welding flange. The SolarClick is made of the same formulation as Sarna l roofing membranes and welded directly to the membrane. This ensures compatibility and makes the use of separation layers or protection sheets unnecessary.
● The Sika SolarClicks are mounted to each support. They provide a large contact area, which is important for uniform load distribution in order to reduce compression loads on the thermal insulation. This, in turn, reduces ponding water.
● The SolarClicks eliminate lateral movement of the PV racks on the roof, a common occurrence on ballasted PV systems.
Quick and easy installation
● The installation of the SolarMount-1 system does not require any roof membrane penetrations. The SolarClick is welded to the membrane using standard hot-air welding equipment needed for the respective Sarna l roof membrane material.
● A benefit of using the SolarMount-1 system is modular installation – this makes it easy to accommodate specific situations on the roof. Variations from one to four PV panels on two to seven supports are standard configurations (e.g. SSM1 3.4: three panels, four supports).
● There are only a few components that require on-site assembly – this allows for a fast and simple installation in either South or East-West orientations.
Minimal additional roof weight
● As the SolarMount-1 is welded to the membrane, ballast is typically not required, making it ideal for most lightweight roof structures. During the design phase, a structural engineer must determine if the structure can support the load of the PV system.
● The loading imposed on the roof by the SolarMount-1 is approximately 2–3 lb/ft2 (without additional ballast), including the PV panel. Localized loadings can be higher.
● The actual value (averaged over the roof area) will depend on the addition of the SolarMount-1 mounting system’s own weight, ballasting with paving stones (if required) and the PV module’s weight, considering the panel layout. The distance between rows to avoid shading varies between 4.9 and 8.2 feet depending on the geographical latitude. Local standards must always be observed and vary by state.
Content Category: Roofing