Association for Facilities Engineering - Resource for Facility ManagersAssociation for Facilities Engineering
12801 Worldgate Drive, Suite 500
Herndon, VA 20170
Certification and Education: Carol Lawrence; 571/203-7238
The Association for Facilities Engineering (AFE) offers the following certifications:
- Certified Plant Engineer (CPE)
- Certified Plant Maintenance Manager (CPMM)
- Certified Plant Supervisor (CPS)
To support these certifications and the professional development of its members and others in the industry, AFE offers numerous educational opportunities in a variety of formats. AFE activities that earn Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credits include enrolling in AFE's Webinars or those approved by AFE, participating in local chapter events, providing leadership for a chapter or region, or speaking at a conference or event.
AFE has partnered with ed2go to offer hundreds of instructor-facilitated online courses designed for general education needs in such areas as: Computer Applications; Database Management & Programming; Math, Philosophy, & Science; Accounting; and Business Administration.
Facilities America, presented by Fluor
AFE's annual national meeting and show offer a comprehensive conference program focused on the latest products, technologies, best practices, and services that plant/facilities engineers and maintenance and operation professionals need to do their jobs well.
AFE's virtual interactive seminars provide a one-stop educational resource for industry professionals. Classes are a minimum of 60 minutes in length and are taught by an experienced representative from the field. In addition, each course equates to 0.1 CEU or recertification credit for individuals currently holding AFE credentialing (CPE, CPMM, or CPS). Maximum class size for all seminars is 60. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Virtual seminars are free for members but carry a $99 charge for non-members. System Requirements include access to a PC, Internet, and phone.
A sample of past seminars includes:
- Technical Deep Dive: Proven, Low-Cost, Low-Risk Energy Conservation Measures
- The Top 10 Parasites of Your Compressed Air System
- Roadmap to Green: A Guide for Achieving Sustainable Buildings
- Mold in Ductwork
- Ductless Heat Pumps
- Trends in Facility Management
- Sustainable Lighting Strategies Improve Building Efficiency
- Evaluating Exit Doors for Performance and Sustainability
- Monitoring and Remote Facility Systems Analysis
- Keeping Your Stand-by Generator in Compliance
AFE Special Webinars
AFE offers Webinar series with various seminars on a particular subject over a period of months, such as the Maintenance Strategy Series by Terry Wireman on all aspects of preventive maintenance, and the Seminars on CMMS by Kris Bagalia on Computerized Maintenance Management Systems.
Industry-Specific Online Courses
AFE offers links to providers of various industry-specific online courses such as:
- Hydraulic Institute
- Vibration School.Com
- Reliability & Condition Monitoring Tutorials
- Red Vector
Approved CEU Course Listing
The AFE Web site offers a listing of other educational providers who have been approved for CEUs applicable to AFE certification and maintenance, including such courses as:
- Building Operator Certification (BOC)--Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance
- Value Added Maintenance--MPACT Learning Center
- PLC Training--Business Industrial Network
- Demystifying Water Treatment--Center for Environmental Technology, Pierce College
- Nuts & Bolts, Dos and Don'ts of Successful Green Building--SDK Environmental & Energy Consulting
Participating Institutions Listing
The AFE Web site also provides a current listing of post-secondary institutions offering a facilities engineering, or similarly titled program, as either an Associate of Applied Science, Bachelor of Science, or Master of Science degree program. Examples include: California Maritime Academy--Facilities Engineering Technology, Bachelor; and Massachusetts Maritime Academy--Facilities Management, Master. Individuals are encouraged to review the respective links for each institution and contact them to learn more.
AFE offers links to books dealing with AFE certification, AFE-branded products, AFE-recommended resources at Amazon.com, and AFE logo items at Lands End and Café Press, as well as to the ISA catalog, books, and standards.