5/15/2014<< Back to Facilities Management Press Releases Home
Zurn Plumbing Solutions Deliver Significant Labor/Cost Savings for Upstate New York Project
Long-Term Care Facility Shortens Construction Timeline, Saves Millions in Financing
“I chose Zurn products because I was looking to save time on a necessarily fast-paced job.”
- Chad Krajewski, Plumbing Foreman, MLP Plumbing & Mechanical, Inc.
ERIE, PA – Zurn Industries, LLC provided five products that served as critical time- and money-savings solutions when the Erie County Medical Center Corporation (ECMCC) in upstate New York was required to significantly reduce its construction timetable for a new long-term care facility. The project timeline was reduced from 24 months to 15 months because of an urgent need for more space.
The accelerated project schedule allowed the ECMCC to open its new 390-bed Terrace View Long-Term Care Facility earlier this year. An industry e-newsletter, Smart Solutions–published by the Mechanical Contractors Association of America (MCAA)–says the shortened construction timeline allowed ECMCC to save millions of dollars in financing the $103-million project.
According to the MCAA newsletter, MLP Plumbing & Mechanical, Inc. credits products manufactured by Zurn in enabling MLP to “eliminate contractor hours by providing customized, engineered solutions to fit jobsite dimensions and install easily.”
“I chose Zurn products because I was looking to save time on a necessarily fast-paced job,” says Chad Krajewski, Plumbing Foreman for MLP. Krajewski worked with two MLP colleagues: Mike Balon, Foreman, and Bill Quefflec Project Manager.
Zurn Industries supplied five labor-saving products for the ECMCC project:
• The Lavatory EZ Carriers (1231-EZ) are concealed arm lavatory carriers pre-assembled at the factory. On site, the scale on the adjusting bar allows the installer to quickly set centerline dimensions.
• The Neo-Loc Test Cap (-TC) gaskets for drain outlets allowed staff to set the drains, then prepare and pressure test the line without additional test balls. The gaskets also acted as a seal for drain outlets, protecting the system from infiltration of loose debris or waste. Once testing was finished, the gaskets were easily removed.
• The –BZ Leveling Adjustment enabled the contractor to adjust leveling and height of drains and cleanouts after the pour was complete, eliminating the need to break up a floor to fix a drainage problem. MLP Plumbing estimates this saved them anywhere from ten minutes to an hour per drain or cleanout.
• The Z1035-Q stabilizer held floor drains in place while concrete was poured and allowed the height of drains to perfectly match the floor thickness. This solution removed the need to “box out” to prevent the drain from moving. Kjajewski says the pre-assembled stabilizers were “one of the most effective labor saving products used at this project.”
• The –DP deck plate option enabled each roof drain to be installed by one worker instead of the traditional two required. The Zurn deck plate allows a roof drain to be secured to a corrugated roof deck with an easy-to-install plate. It also reduced the need for a scissor lift machine, saving the contractors in rental costs. MLP Plumbing says the plate saved them about 15 to 20 minutes per drain and effectively doubled the workforce by allowing one worker to do the job of two.
Chuck Mallia, of LPCiminelli, the Buffalo-based construction management company for this project, served as Project Superintendent.
“Absolutely, Zurn brought innovations to the project that allowed us to meet the aggressive schedule,” Mallia says. “Zurn offers high quality American-made products which collectively saved many man-hours.”
“Many construction projects are now ‘hurry-up,’ and clients want them to be completed in record time while still significantly cutting labor costs,” Krajewski says. “Zurn solutions are a great option for contractors.”
The new facility, 275,000 square feet spread over five levels, is grouped into small 12-bed households, each with its own living room, fireplace, kitchen and dining areas. Each floor has a large outdoor terrace and an indoor terrace lounge.
About Zurn Industries
Zurn Industries, LLC is a recognized leader in commercial, municipal, and industrial markets. Zurn manufactures the largest breadth of engineered water solutions in the industry, including a wide spectrum of sustainable plumbing products. Zurn delivers total building solutions for new construction and retrofit applications that enhance any building’s environment. For more information, visit www.zurn.com.