New Content Updates
Educational Webcast Alerts
Building Products/Technology Notices
Access Exclusive Member Content
Roofing Article Use Policy
George Daisey, a research scientist on elastomeric roof coatings for The Dow Chemical Company suggests the following critical questions FMs should ask before undertaking a coating project:
• Is this the first roof?
• What kind of roof is up there now?
• How long should the current roof be expected to last, and how long does it need to last, if there are budget constraints?
• Does the entire roof need to be replaced or just certain sections?
• What kinds of roof coatings are recommended for this type of roof? Will the coating product be easy to use?
• Will cleanup be easy?
• Does it have low VOC?
• Is the roof in good shape, or does it need repairs prior to coating?
• Will the choice of repair method determine the type of roof coating I can use?
• Will building codes require a tear-off if a membrane or system is installed?
• Are there any warranties on the existing roof that could be voided if a coating is applied?
The Roof Coatings Manufacturers Association (RCMA) is the trade group that represents both manufacturers of asphaltic and solar reflective roof coatings, as well as suppliers to the industry. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the group was established in 1982 and now has more than 70 members.
RCMA is focused on promoting roof coatings and educating its members on the most recent building codes and standards, and industry trends and developments. The association provides technical and educational resources, including case studies and white papers, as well as annual meetings. RCMA creates task forces and working groups as needed to focus on current issues, including volatile organic compounds and sustainability.
The organization has four standing committees: Government Affairs; Communications, Education and Membership; Technical Affairs; and Reflective Roof Coatings Institute. The last committee was formed following the early 2015 merger of RCMA and the Reflective Roof Coatings Institute. In addition to boosting RCMA membership and recognition, the arrangement produced a stronger advocacy approach for both state and federal initiatives.
RCMA’s website has links to several entities — including the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, National Roofing Contractors Association, and various roofing manufacturers — that have programs for estimating potential savings by coating a roof. And the group has a database that provides up-to-date information on rebates and tax credits available to facilities that install reflective roofs.
For more information, visit the RCMA website at www.roofcoatings.org.
Find the Roof Coating Best Suited to a Facility
Roof Coatings Have Varying Characteristics
Budget, Installation Weather Are Additional Issues with Roof Coatings
Key Questions FMs Should Ask with Coating Project