Lead Electrician - Facilities Management Job Post
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking a Lead Electrician. As a member of the Facilities Department, the Lead Electrician will function as an extension of the Engineering Staff responsible for working with and training the Assistant Electrician while performing a wide variety of dedicated electrical duties.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
This position does not have direct reports; however the Lead Electrician will be responsible for the supervision of external electrical contractors.
• Have extensive knowledge of NYS Electrical Standards and Codes and OSHA regulations with strict adherence to code and OSHA safety standards at all times. Must prepare for and participate in all electrical inspections related to DOB, life safety, Landmarks and preservation, grant project sign-offs, new construction, renovations, MEP upgrades, etc.
• Interpret, update and maintain electrical schematic diagrams as they relate to all systems for the museum’s New York locations.
• Perform comprehensive maintenance and keep up-to-date all the components of the museum’s normal and emergency electrical control and power distribution infrastructure: verifying code compliance, proper operation of protection and safeties, breakers, switches, transfer switches, and connections along with circuit tracing, identification, loading, and labeling.
• Quickly and effectively troubleshoot electrical systems and controls of high and low voltage as related to the museum’s Lutron lighting systems, MEP equipment, HVAC systems, power distribution, elevator operation, fire and life safety, security systems, Class E, BMS, and IT systems.
• Perform new installations when MEP and HVAC equipment are upgraded or replaced, such as control panels, motors, transformers, breakers, starters, contactors, switches, timers, etc. and all associated wiring.
• Consult on and coordinate all electrical projects for grant scope, new installations, capitol projects, upgrades, repairs, and major electrical construction in the museum’s New York Facilities. Also responsible for the supervision of all external electrical contractors.
• Work closely with the IT Department to provide data cable runs for upgrades and new installations.
• During the museum’s numerous exhibition changes, special events, and video shoots throughout the year, the Lead Electrician will work to provide budget projections, electrical power distribution, tie-ins, cable runs, fixture installation, and consultation on electrical matters to many of the museum’s departments.
• Other duties as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• New York State Electrical License.
• Minimum 8 years experience in operating, repairs and maintenance building electrical systems.
• 3-5 years Supervisory experience.
• Ability to communicate, both written and verbally, in a clear, concise and timely manner.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a good team player.
• Desire to work for a well-known Museum and national landmark; experience working in a cultural institution is a plus.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com. Indicate the job title “Lead Electrician” in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.